A brief guide as the where Warburton is located.
Click here to open a GoogleMaps image,
or click for an aerial view.
Warburton itself is a small village consisting of a number of houses and the now somewhat famous Warburton Old Church. Known in early Saxon times as Wareburghtune, after St Werburgh, later becoming St Werburgh Church. The Saxon section of the church can be seen in the north of Warburton Old Church as the church was rebuilt in the 12th century - for a photo see this link to TrekEarth. In 1885 a new church was built nearby on Bent Lane, the A6144, and this church is also called St Werburgh.
The area surrounding the church is also subject to much archaeological activity with finds not only of Saxon origin but also of early Bronze Age, Iron Age and Roman origin.
More details of historic Warburton can be found here: http://www.cheshirenow.co.uk/warburton.html or on Wikipedia.
This page updated: 6thOctober 2016.